Revitalising Scotland's Historic Paths for the Future
Contact Details
Home
Project
The Paths
Campsie Fells
Learning Resources
Support Us
Contact
Links

One of the oldest recreational signs in the world, now lost.  Taken by an unknown photographer. Heritage Paths Project
ScotWays
Scottish Rights of Way and Access Society
24 Annandale Street
Edinburgh
EH7 4AN
T: 0131 558 7123
F: 0131 558 1222

email
facebook
twitter
flickr
Join Us
Donate

 

Keyword Search
 


SEARCH BY MAP

Go

ADVANCED SEARCH

Go

 

Path of the Month
Lairig Bhreislich
Lairig Bhreislich

Site Design & Hosting by
Digital Routes

© Heritage Paths

 

 

 

Old Road to Glenshee

Start location: A924, Enochdhu (NO 063 628)
End location: A93, Spittal of Glenshee (NO 110 699)
Geographical area: Perth, Kinross and Stirling (part)
Path Type: Rural Path, Drove Road
Path distance: 9.3km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians

Back to Search

Route Description

From Enochdhu go NE by a private road through the Dirnanean estate, where the route is well signposted along a gravel road up the hillside (stiles over two deer fences) towards Elrig. Further on is an open shelter and the track becomes grassy and continues waymarked over An Lairig. Finally, go NE down the Coire Lairige on an easily discernable path to Spittal of Glenshee.

OS Landranger 43 (Braemar & Blair Atholl)

Heritage Information

The Old Statistical Account (1791-99) refers to annual fairs held at the Spittal of Glen Shee and at Kirkmichael which lies just to the south of Enochdhu. In the middle of the eighteenth century Kirkmichael's Michaelmas Fair was one of Scotland's principle cattle markets, and this was one of the main drove routes leading to it. It can be seen as a road on Roy's map of 1755 which shows its importance.

There are standing stones in Enochdhu and a large mound feature known locally as Giant's Grave, which is now a flower bed.  The Royal Commission on Ancient and Historic Monuments Scotland thought, in the 1960s, that there was a faint trace of an incised cross, although this possible feature is not visible now.  However the Royal Commission also state that it is unlikely to be a prehistoric standing stone.  Given that the place name, Spittal, usually refers to a hospital or a place of refuge it would surely make sense that there were markers on the way to direct people and an incised cross would be as good a marker as any.

There is also a stone circle on this route on the south slope of Elrig and another standing stone where the path enters Calaminach Wood indicating that, perhaps, there were a number of marker stones on the way.

 

 



Copyright: Iain McDonald

Copyright: Rob Burke

 

 

Click here to view this path on a map

 

Image Gallery

 

[print]

Scotways logo

Scottish Natural Heritage

Heritage Lottery Fund

ScotGov logo

Leader logo

Europe logo