Start location: Bridge of Bogendreip (NO 663 910)
End location: Milton of Dellavaird (NO 736 820)
Geographical area: Grampian
Path Type: Drove Road
Path distance: 14km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians
Back to Search
Just to the east of the Bridge of Bogendreip, take the signposted track leading south parallel to the Water of Dye. After about 400m, transfer to a forest road some 200m higher up the hillside and continue south through the forest. At NO670891, be careful not to take the path uphill towards the logging road, instead take the older lower route which contours round the base of Hare Hill joining a forest road circa NO672872 below Little Kerloch. This old route again leaves the forest track at about NO683868 by a path heading southeast along a forest ride towards the Builg Burn. Continue over rough ground to the col between Tipperweir and Kerloch where the old track leads into the forest. This is followed southeast, then west for a short distance, then southeast again along the West Burn of Builg. From the junction of the East and West Burns of Builg, continue the descent southeast to Corsebauld and Chapelton Farm, from where a road goes southeast to the crossroads near Milton of Dellavaird. Alternatively, from Chapelton head SSW in the direction of Glenfarquhar Lodge and the site of Paldy Fair.
The Milton of Dellavaird endpoint has been long signposted by ScotWays as the most accessible, however historically the route left the Corsebauld-bound track to pass west of the buildings at Tipperty and southward towards Glenfarquhar Lodge to reach Paldy Fair more directly.
OS Landranger 45 (Stonehaven & Banchory)
This is an ancient right of way from Strachan in Feughside to St Palladius' Fair (Paldy Fair) near Glenfarquhar Lodge, 3km north of Auchenblae. It was probably used also as a drove road for drovers heading to Laurencekirk market. It did not go quite as high as the nearby Cairn a' Mounth road and so would have been snowbound less often. It was also probably fairly busy with drovers and travellers as the Cairn a' Mounth had a toll at the Bridge of Dye but the Builg Mounth did not.
The Builg is depicted in Garden’s map of 1776 who marks it as ‘Builg Road, a Foot Path' and it is also shown in James Robertson's map of 1822 where it seems to have been upgraded to a vehicular track, although it certainly is not one anymore. Modern 1:25,000 OS maps continue to mark the route as the Builg Road.
According to ARB Haldane's The Drove Roads of Scotland, Paldy Fair was a tryst of some importance. In 1795, it was said that up to 3000 cattle were sold at this Fordoun cattle fair each July. In 1863, the Ordnance Survey Name Book for Kincardineshire notes that Paldy Fair is held from the first Tuesday after 11th July for three consecutive days - the first day being for Sheep, the second day for Cattle, the third for Horse and also Reapers for the harvest. The site of Paldy Fair can be seen clearly marked on OS 6" second edition mappping (1892-1905) and also on the OS 1" mapping until at least the 1950s.
The Heritage Paths project is pleased to announce that Neil Ramsay (our former Project Officer) and Nate Pedersen (one of our earliest volunteers) have teamed up to write an ebook - The Mounth Passes - with photography by long-standing ScotWays member Graham Marr. If you too are interested in the heritage of these old ways through the Grampian Mountains, we highly recommend it.