Grantown-on-Spey Military Road
Start location: unclassified road to Camerory (NJ 019 314)
End location: A939 (NJ 008 351)
Geographical area: Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch and Strathspey, Cairngorms National Park
Path Type: Military Road
Path distance: 4.4km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians
Back to Search
The route continues uphill from the end of the unclassified road at Camerory (house spelt Camerorie) on a grassy track. This is on solid foundations so is cycleable until it reaches the end of the wood. From here the route crosses open moorland and the line of the track becomes progressively less distinct. Just before the ruin of Anaboard, about 1.5km from the wood end the ground becomes noticeably boggy. A ruined stone bridge, covered in decaying timber crosses a small burn just below the ruin. Thereafter the route is dry and cycleable and in about 1km evolves into a double track leading past Loch Mhic Leoid, by a locked gate to the A939.
OS Landranger 27 (Nairn & Forres) or 36 (Grantown, Aviemore & Cairngorm area
This is a section of the Military Road that ran from Coupar Angus to Fort George, built between 1748 and 1757 under the auspices of Major Caulfeild. This was a 100 mile stretch of road, so understandably took a while to build. The road was built in anticipation of the building of Fort George at Ardersier and so was to aid communication between the new barracks and the south. The majority of the modern road follows Caulfeild's route which is testament to the quality of its line - this part is a notable exception as are other sections near Corgarff and north of Blairgowrie.
The stone piers of the bridge built by Caulfeild are still standing and used by the wooden bridge that is now used at Camerory. There were also two wells mapped by Ordnance Survey in 1868-1871, which would have been fairly common and important features in old roads. The stone piers of another bridge are also still being used with a more recent wooden bridge just south of Anaboard and another that crosses the Anaboard Burn just north of Loch Mhic Leoid.
Along this track traces of the original flanking banks and outer ditches are also visible as well as many borrow pits where stone for the road's construction were quarried.