Revitalising Scotland's Historic Paths for the Future
Contact Details
Home
Project
The Paths
Campsie Fells
Learning Resources
Support Us
Contact
Links

A ScotWays helper with one of the oldest recreational signs in the world, now lost.  Taken by an unknown photographer. Heritage Paths Project
ScotWays
Scottish Rights of Way and Access Society
24 Annandale Street
Edinburgh
EH7 4AN
T: 0131 558 1222

email
facebook
twitter
flickr
Join Us
Donate

 

Keyword Search
 


SEARCH BY MAP

Go

ADVANCED SEARCH

Go

 

Path of the Month
Drove Road to Callert Ferry
Drove Road to Callert Ferry

Site Design & Hosting by
Digital Routes

© Heritage Paths

 

 

 

Old Drove Road from Tomintoul to Invercauld

Start location: Invercauld House (NO 175 924)
End location: Tomintoul (NJ 165 176)
Geographical area:
Path Type: Drove Road
Path distance: 32km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians, Suitable for Bikes

Back to Search

Route Description

From 200m east of Invercauld Bridge (A93), go north along the minor road to Keiloch and continue north-west towards Invercauld House. After about 1km, at a signpost, take the steep track on the right uphill and head north by the west side of Meall Gorm and the east of Creag a' Chait to the Bealach Dearg at NO180981. There continue along the track which climbs north-east towards Culardoch before descending to the River Gairn. Cross the bridge and go along the north side of the Gairn, then north along the east side of Loch Builg and down Glen Builg to Inchrory. From there it is 11km along the private road down Glen Avon to Tomintoul.

OS Landranger 36 & 43

Heritage Information

ARB Haldane's book The Drove Roads Of Scotland (1951) indicates that this was one of the routes taken by droves of Speyside cattle heading for Braemar. He states that the drovers followed the Avon to Inchrory and then continued south by Loch Builg and Monaltrie Moss. Although Monaltrie Moss lies further east than the line of the route through the Bealach Dearg, the route we have mapped and described here is clearly that marked on Haldane's map of main droving routes. Perhaps the line of the route south of Loch Builg has varied over time, or perhaps Monaltrie Moss was once more extensive. In 1747, the route was said to be in use by cattle thieves. Haldane also writes that "an old drover still living (1948) on Donside remembers it in active use for sheep traffic, the beasts resting for the night beside Loch Builg".

 



Copyright: Jim Barton

Copyright: Richard Webb

Copyright: Dorothy Carse

 

 

Click here to view this path on a map

 

Image Gallery

Copyright: Nigel Corby Copyright: Dorothy Carse Copyright: Tom Richardson

 

[print]

Scotways logo

Scottish Natural Heritage

Heritage Lottery Fund

ScotGov logo

Leader logo

Europe logo