Revitalising Scotland's Historic Paths for the Future
Contact Details
Home
Project
The Paths
Campsie Fells
Learning Resources
Support Us
Contact
Links

Dere Street near Crailinghall.  Taken by Richard Warren. Heritage Paths Project
ScotWays
Scottish Rights of Way and Access Society
24 Annandale Street
Edinburgh
EH7 4AN
T: 0131 558 7123
F: 0131 558 1222

email
facebook
twitter
flickr
Join Us
Donate

 

Keyword Search
 


SEARCH BY MAP

Go

ADVANCED SEARCH

Go

 

Path of the Month
General Wade's Military Road, Crieff to Aberfeldy
General Wade's Military Road, Crieff to Aberfeldy

Site Design & Hosting by
Digital Routes

© Heritage Paths

 

 

 

Old Road to Amulree

Start location: B8063, Frenchton (NN 952 292)
End location: A822, Amulree (NN 899 364)
Geographical area: Perth, Kinross and Stirling (part)
Path Type: Rural Path
Path distance: 10.1km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians

Back to Search

Route Description

Harrietfield on the B8063 on the north of the River Almond may be reached by car (very limited space for parking) or by walking from Methven. If walking, go along the minor road from Methven to Glenalmond College and take the lane marked ‘Back Avenue’ to a footbridge over the River Almond to Harrietfield, 6km from Methven. From there go W along the B8063 for 1km to a hairpin bend where the walk really begins. Go northwest up a private road bypassing Logiealmond Lodge to Craiglea quarry. Follow the main track through the quarry and over the knoll Craig Lea, then down to the Shelligan Burn. Join another track which goes northwest for several kilometres over a col between Meall Reamhar and Meall nan Caorach and down to Girron and the A822 1km south of Amulree.

OS Landranger 52 (Pitlochry & Aberfeldy) and 53 (Blairgowrie & Forest of Alyth)

Heritage Information

At least part of this route is a very old road which is mentioned in the Chronicle of Fortingall and is shown on Stobie's 1783 map of Perthshire. The Chronicle of Fortingall is a document compiled from 1400 to 1579 by a succession of McGregors. As the route is mentioned in this it must have been very important and dates to at least the medieval period. It is also named The Old Route in the National Catalogue of Rights of Way.

The Amulree Hotel (now sadly closed) was founded as a drovers' inn in 1714. Sitting as it does at a crossroads of old routes, it is perhaps no surprise that Amulree had a Tryst in May, which existed even before the more famous Tryst was established at Crieff.

 

 



 

 

Click here to view this path on a map

 

Image Gallery

 

[print]

Scotways logo

Scottish Natural Heritage

Heritage Lottery Fund

ScotGov logo

Leader logo

Europe logo