Start location: Rhindhu, Braes of Glenlivet (NJ 247 218)
End location: Dufftown (NJ 326 395)
Geographical area: Moray, Cairngorms National Park
Path Type: Rural Path
Path distance: 23.1km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians
Back to Search
From Rhindhu head north then northeast to Burnside of Thain, from where a path continues northeast over heather moor to the River Livet and joins the track to Suie, now deserted. Before Suie this track fords the Kymah Burn, but there is a footbridge near Knochkan, a deserted red-roofed cottage upstream.
About 300m beyond Suie, ignore where the Steplar track turns off to the right and instead continue northeast on a better track up Glen Suie to the head of the glen where one branch goes off up Corryhabbie Hill to follow Morton's Way. Continue by the other branch down Glen Fiddich to cross a bridge near Glenfiddich Lodge, and go past the lodge down the left bank of the river to Bridgehaugh. If you want to avoid walking 5km along the A941, go north-northwest from Bridgehaugh to Smithstown and reach Dufftown along paths and farm roads round the east side of Goodman’s Knowe.
OS Landranger 36 (Grantown, Aviemore & Cairngorm area), 37 (Strathdon) & 28 (Elgin, Dufftown & surrounding area)
or OS Explorer 420 (Correen Hills & Glenlivet) & 424 (Buckie & Keith)
This route is visible in its entirety from Rhindhu to Dufftown on the OS 6" first edition mapping surveyed in the late 1860s, although north of Tor Elick the route runs on the west bank of the River Fiddich to Glenfiddich Lodge. These days the more substantial path is to be found on the east bank, however the right of way runs along the west bank on a path marked on the OS 1:25,000 map (Explorer 420).
An additional path is visible on OS maps from the 6" first edition at least up until the 1" popular edition of the 1920s. It lay west of the River Fiddich path, roughly parallel but further up the hill and ran to Glenfiddich Lodge. It is likely to have been superceded by the present day's Morton's Way which runs along the ridge to the top of Corryhabbie Hill, as this later route is not marked on the older maps.
In 1994, a milestone was found at Suie (NJ 276 248). It was inscribed "Glenfiddich 6 1/2" along with the initials JM and CN. The milestone may have been one of a series for shooting parties giving the distance from Glenfiddich where there has been a lodge since at least 1775. This certainly seems to have been the case for Lochmore Lodge along the Bealach nam Meirleach Drove Road, see:
We've heard that the milestone is still in situ and that it is dated circa 1886, we would love to see a picture or receive any further details.
Marked on the contemporary OS 1:25,000 map is the Queen's Cairn (NJ 2876 2786), erected in 1867 to commemorate Queen Victoria's visit to the area that year. It is said to lie at the foot of Corryhabbie Hill just off the Glen Fiddich track. Another Queen's Cairn lies on Morton's Way, along with three Shepherd's Cairns. Both Queen's Cairns and two of the Shepherd's Cairns are marked on the OS 6" first edition map.
Two wells are also marked along the route on the OS 6" map; Lady's Well (Spring) is still marked today on the OS 1:25,000 map.
In 1819, Corryhabbie Hill was used as one of the points in the Ordnance Survey's principal triangulation. A level stone platform will have been built on the hilltop for the theodolites and, as ideal atmospheric conditions were needed, a camp was built on the sloping face of the hill in order that the necessary repeated measurements could be made.