Revitalising Scotland's Historic Paths for the Future
Contact Details
Home
Project
The Paths
Campsie Fells
Learning Resources
Support Us
Contact
Links

Alt tag for above image Heritage Paths Project
ScotWays
Scottish Rights of Way and Access Society
24 Annandale Street
Edinburgh
EH7 4AN
T: 0131 558 7123
F: 0131 558 1222

email
facebook
twitter
flickr
Join Us
Donate

 

Keyword Search
 


SEARCH BY MAP

Go

ADVANCED SEARCH

Go

 

Path of the Month
Lairig Bhreislich
Lairig Bhreislich

Site Design & Hosting by
Digital Routes

© Heritage Paths

 

 

 

Stoneymollan Road

Start location: A82, access to Upper Stoneymollan Farm (NS 381 816)
End location: Kirkton, Cardross (NS 342 806)
Geographical area: Strathclyde and Lanarkshire, Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park
Path Type: Coffin Road
Path distance: 6.75km
Accessibility info: Suitable for pedestrians

Back to Search

Route Description

Starts at footbridge over A82 - wooden signpost "Cardross 7.5km" - and follows the access road to Upper Stoneymollan Farm to a gate at 373817 where there is another wooden signpost "FP to Cardross 6.5km". A pleasant green/stony path leads uphill to a plantation (Darleith Muir). The track continues through the plantation and on down through rough pasture to Blackthird Farm. (Parts of this section of the track are very muddy after wet weather due to cattle (including feeding stations) and farm vehicles. Bulls with cattle have been encountered on the track either side of Darleith Muir.) From here a metalled road is followed to Auchensail, Kirkton and thence on to Cardross

The Stoneymollan Road is used in part by Scotland's newest long-distance route - officially launched in April 2014, the John Muir Way runs from Helensburgh to Dunbar. Weaving its way through lowland Scotland, this 215km trail also takes in parts of the Gowk Stane Road, the Strathkelvin Railway Path, the Forth & Clyde Canal, the Antonine Wall and the Union Canal.

OS Landranger 63 (Firth of Clyde area)

Heritage Information

This is an old coffin road that people would have used to carry their dead to be buried in the consecrated ground of the church at Cardross.  At nearly 7km long it is quite a distance to carry a heavy load and often coffin rests are found along these routes, which were flat or raised stones of flattened cairns for resting the coffin on.  At these points the carriers could also take a rest but there are no reports of any of these surviving on this route.

The first edition of Ordnance Survey's 6 inch to the mile maps shows this road as being called the Cross Stone Road and indeed there was supposedly a cross stone on the route.  Now all that remains is the base of the cross at NS 362 827 as the cross itself is thought to have gone missing around 1880.  It is perhaps at this point that the coffin bearers would have taken a break.

 

 



Copyright: Lairich Rig

 

 

Click here to view this path on a map

 

Image Gallery

 

[print]

Scotways logo

Scottish Natural Heritage

Heritage Lottery Fund

ScotGov logo

Leader logo

Europe logo